Let me start by saying, we’re not married yet. He is 18, I’m 25. Fully legal, so that’s not a problem, even though I sometimes feel like the bad teachers in movies who have relationships with their students, except I’m not a teacher and he is not my student, and everyone who knows have been very supportive.
So, that cleared up.
This is going to be a more general, comprehensive post, where I go through some of my main thoughts about how I’m preparing and what problems I have or will encounter (I already know a big one, but back to that soon). Later on, I will try to write a series of more detailed posts about certain parts of the upcoming event that is our first meeting, as well as this preparation/waiting stage I am in now .
He and I met a couple of years ago in a certain game based on an anime. Since then, we’ve been talking every night in our private discord server, often for hours. We’ve only had one video chat (not video chat people, but at least we know we are who we say are).
He lives in Canada and I in Sweden, so we’ve always been far apart (but close at heart). We haven’t met in real life, which, as I’m sure you can imagine, has caused a lot of impatience. That is why I have decided to move in with him and his family in February 2020, just in time for Valentine’s day. Our original plan was to wait a bit longer, but life is short, and when it comes to love, each day a part is a day wasted. That is not to say that our chats are a waste, but you know what I mean. There’s just something special to be within a close physical proximity to your beloved.
At the time of writing, there are 4 months left.
My Preparation Checklist
- Update my Passport
- Tell my Parents (recently moved back to live with them, and dread this step every single day)
- Pack (what do you bring to a whole new life?)
- Exercise + Stretch (for health & gotta have a nice body for the first full revelation, even if we plan to wait for certain things.)
- Do my Research (about immigration, marriage, pregnancy, money, etc.)
- Study for my Master’s Degree while I do all the other things.
- Relax, sleep, chill !!!
Things I have Checked Off:
- Update my passport (Did it today, on the 26th September) – Will arrive in 2 weeks! Fun fact: Because I’m a Finnish citizen, even though I’ve never lived in Finland, and my Finnish dad hasn’t since he was 4, I have to get my passports at the embassy. So I went there today as a little mini trip, and learned something new: Apparently, I have to let Finland know when I move so they have the correct address registered. I found this out because they had my temporary student address registered instead of the one I’ve used for most of my life. The mystery is: How did they get that address in the first place, if I have to tell them for them to have it? Because I sure didn’t.
- Exercise + Stretch This is an ongoing point, but at least I have done it, about 5 times a week for the past 2 weeks. Yes, two. Still counts, I practised over splits today! Actually for the first time in my whole life, so that’s cool.
- Done My Research More than I need. Last night, for instance, I spent hours researching RV life. Seemingly unrelated, but… mobile homes! I’ve figured out the model I want (park model) and important features regarding the floor plan (3 bed (the additional bedrooms far away from master bedroom) + 2 bath (1 with hot tub/jacuzzi/bubble bath, preferably ensuite)), but unfortunately a lot of parks only accept up to 2 adults and 2 kids, which is a bit of a problem, considering the 7 we’re planning.
- Study Ongoing. Finished 1 of 3 assignments due in October, started on a couple of others. Briefing what I’ve already read to make sure I got everything for the exams next month. So it’s going ok.
- Packing I’ve basically already decided on most things I want to bring, and will probably only bring a carry-on and backpack or handbag.
- Relaxed, Slept, Chilled + Healthy Eating (Should’ve added on list, but meh).
- Dreaded telling my Parents… Ugh.
It appears that the only thing I haven’t done is the most dreadful one on the list. Why, you might ask, would a 25 year old have such difficulty telling their parents about a LDR and the fact that she’s going to not only meet, but move in with him. Oh, and by the way, mom and dad, he’s still in high school. This whole topic deserves its own post. In short, they are overprotective, anti-online meeting believers of all people being bad. Basically.
About this Blog Series
I still haven’t decided how it will be in its entirety, but what I’m thinking right now is: A few themed posts (e.g. one about packing, one about telling my parents…, etc), and, probably, several diary-like, old school? type of posts, where I talk about the progress and any worries, obstacles or triumphs I might have, as well as possible additions to my very written-in-stone list.
I’ve Tried This Blogging Thing Before
And it never lead anywhere. So we’ll see where this leads. I might stick around, might not. But I want to try. Not only for me, but for my future family.
Thank you for reading. Also, don’t hesitate to comment any thoughts or advice that came up. I seek blogger friends.